How are you involved in education?
I work as an Academic Coach and Learning Specialist in an independent high school in Northern, VA. I am also an acting Board Member of the DC-Metro branch of the IDA (International Dyslexia Association) and have served as a presenter of Assistive Technology for the Special Needs Student. I will be presenting “A Guide to Creating Your Digital Back Pack” at the upcoming IDA Conference on March 15, 2014 at the Universities of Shady Grove in Rockville, MD. Please check out our conference here: http://dcidamdconf.com/
Have you ever attended an edcamp or unconference before?
I have not attended an edcamp but am very familiar with the concept of unconferencing. We do this all the time at my school, with out faculty during pre and post planning, and with our students during classtime or special programs. It works brilliantly!!
What do you hope to get out of edcamp MetroDC?
I hope to learn from others in the field of education! I love learning about how people are using different technology applications and programs with their students.
If you led a session at edcamp MetroDC, what would you present?
I would be happy to present on different assistive technologies which include (but are not limited to):
– Google Applications: Drive, Docs, Calendar, VideoNot.es, Lucidchart, Mind Meister, & Read&Write
– Chrome Browser & its Extensions: SpeakIt!, CK-12, Read&Write, iSpeech
– Evernote: for beginner, intermediate, and advanced
– free eReaders: Kindle, OverDrive, Cloud-based readers
– synching your devices: what you start on your laptop, you can come back to later on your mobile phone and/or tablet
– Study Blue
– Pear Notes
Register for edcamp MetroDC on April 5, 2014: